The Naloxone Distribution Project (NDP) aims to reduce opioid overdose deaths through the provision of free naloxone, in its nasal spray formulation. Entities can apply to DHCS to have naloxone shipped directly to their address. Eligible entities include:
- Law enforcement such as police departments, county jails and probation;
- Fire, EMS and first responders;
- Schools and universities;
- County public health and behavioral health departments; and
- Community organizations such as harm reduction organizations or community opioid coalitions.
Since it began in October 2018, the NDP has distributed hundreds of thousands of naloxone units, which have been used to reverse more than 30,000 overdoses. Learn more about the impact of the NDP in this slide deck.
Apply here to receive free naloxone.
Figure 1. Opioid Overdoses and Approved Naloxone by County
Figure 2. NDP Applications by Type of Organization
Figure 3. Naloxone Units by Type of Organization
Figure 4. Reported Naloxone Reversal by Type of Organization