The Naloxone Distribution Project (NDP) aims to reduce opioid overdose deaths through the provision of free naloxone, in its nasal spray formulation. Entities can apply to DHCS to have naloxone shipped directly to their address.
The program started October 1, 2018, and hundreds of applications have been received. Eligible entities include:
- Law enforcement such as police departments, county jails and probation;
- Fire, EMS and first responders;
- Schools and universities;
- County public health and behavioral health departments; and
- Community organizations such as harm reduction organizations or community opioid coalitions.
Apply here to receive free naloxone.
Update on the Naloxone Distribution Program
As of June 14, 2019, the NDP has distributed over 220,000 units of naloxone. The figures below show the types of organizations that have received naloxone, as well as opioid overdoses and approved naloxone by county per population.
Figure 1. NDP Applications by Type of Organization
Figure 2. Law Enforcement Applications
Figure 3. Naloxone Units by Type of Organization
Figure 4. Opioid Overdoses and Approved Naloxone by County